Oven Roasted Clams
Serves 6 - 8
Cook Time: 23 - 25 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced 1/4-in. thick
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with the side of a knife
- 3 bay leaves
- kosher salt
- 3 small sweet peppers, thinly sliced (such as banana, pimento, or gypsy)
- 2 tsp. Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh oregano leaves or 1 tsp. dried
- 1½ tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 3 dozen Manila clams
Oven Temperature: 550 - 580°F
Pour the oil over the bottom of a 12-in. shallow cooking vessel. Stir in the onion, garlic, bay leaves and half of the salt.
Flame Height: 3.6
Place pan inside the doorway of the oven and roast for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions begin to brown.
Stir in the peppers and paprika, return the pan to the center of the oven and cook for 5 more minutes.
Add the wine, stir in the tomato paste and continue to cook until the wine is reduced by half.
Add the herbs, vinegar, and clams. Return the pan to in front of the flame and roast for about 8-10 minutes until all the clams are opened.
Recipe from Wood Stone.