Buddy V’s Sausage & Pepper Sandwich
Cook Time: 15 - 20 minutes
- 8 sweet or hot, Italian, link sausages, about 2 oz. each
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium Spanish onion, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium red pepper, cored, seeded and cut into slices 1⁄4-in. thick
- 1 medium green pepper, cored, seeded and cut into slices 1⁄4-in. thick
- 1 cubanelle pepper, cored, seeded and cut into slices 1⁄4-in. thick
- Kosher salt
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 Italian rolls, halved lengthwise but not cut all the way through
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Line a large plate with paper towels. Prick the sausages with a fork and boil until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
Heat your Evo grill to medium-high heat and brush with 1 tbsp. of the extra-virgin olive oil. When the oil is shimmering and almost smoking, add the onions, peppers and a pinch of salt. Stir well with tongs, then spread the vegetables out on the grill and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano and another pinch of salt. Continue cooking until everything is softened, juicy and delicious, another minute or so. (It's ﬁne, even desirable, if the vegetables brown a little and crisp up around the edges.) Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep them warm.
Add the remaining olive oil to the Evo cooktop and spread it out with a brush. Add the sausages and cook, turning, until browned, crispy and reheated, about 5 minutes.
Pull out and discard (or snack on) some bread from the top and bottom interiors of each roll, leaving enough so the sausage and peppers do not soak through. Nestle 2 sausages in each roll, top with some of the pepper mixture and serve.
Recipe from Evo.