Watson’s Doubles the Size
of Its Flagship Store
Thursday, May 31, 2018
Watson’s, one of the nation’s largest home recreational products retailers, is more than doubling the size of its flagship store in Evendale.
The Cincinnati-based company outgrew its showroom and began a complete remodel of the existing space plus an addition in early 2017.
It will double in size to more than 100,000 sq. ft. the size of an entire city block in Manhattan.
The renovated space will feature spas, outdoor furniture, home recreational products, and pools.
The new 50,000-sq.-ft. addition will be home to an expanded indoor furniture department – with hundreds of sectionals, sofas, and recliners, including a Natuzzi Italian leather gallery, Palliser quick-ship custom gallery, and all kinds of unique pieces and accessories for your home.
The store remained open during construction and will begin its grand opening celebration sale June 1-3.
The regional retailer will also launch a brand-new website and an updated logo.
Watson’s, which is celebrating 50 years in business this year, is now one of the largest home recreational products retailers in the nation, featuring indoor furnishings, outdoor furnishings, home recreational products, and water – all under one roof.
“We really feel like this is the furniture shopping experience of the future,” CEO Erik Mueller said.
“When families are looking for fun and excitement in the home, they instinctively think of Watson’s because of our legacy,” he said. “Our new store allows us to unleash even more creativity when it comes to home furnishings, home recreation, and leisure.”
Mueller credits Watson’s success to a number of factors – with an emphasis on the culture inside the Evendale headquarters, where the sales team has averaged an above-average tenure of 13 years.
That, combined with an ever-changing selection of products and the store’s guarantee to be the lowest price in the U.S., has led to an extremely loyal customer who, on average, returns to shop at Watson’s for another seven to 10 major purchases.
“We relish our opportunity to bring friends and family together, to help them escape the stress of life and spend quality, relaxing time together,” Mueller said. “We take that mission very seriously.”
Everything You Need for Your Home, Inside and Out
Watson’s remains true to its roots in water – with pools, spas, and everything you need to maintain (and have fun) in the water.
In recent years, though, it has expanded aggressively into indoor furnishing, home entertainment, and more. The Evendale location will now have seven distinct departments:
- Outdoor Living: Watson’s is home to one of the largest selections of outdoor furniture in the U.S., from tables and chairs for lounging and dining to umbrellas, gazebos, grills, and brick ovens. If you’re dreaming of toasting marshmallows and telling stories around the campfire, don’t miss the fire pits.
- Indoor Furniture: Watson’s will launch a full indoor furniture department, with hundreds of sofas, loveseats, recliners, and more.That includes power motion furniture and selections from top brands including Lexington, Bernhardt, Natuzzi Italian Leather, Palliser Furniture, Rowe, Jonathan Louis, and many more.
- Home Recreation & Dining: Pool tables and accessories are a best seller, of course, but you’ll also find a selection of air hockey tables, shuffleboard tables, and hundreds of bar stools or home bars. Looking to drag the kids away from their phones? Try a family game of darts or one of the video arcade games that have as many as 600 classic games.
- Fireplaces: This is your one-stop shop for electric fireplaces, gas fireplaces, gas logs, wood stoves, and accessories. If it heats up and brings warmth, you’re covered.
- Above Ground Pools: Watson’s will debut a brand-new accessory store within the store. You’ll find a wide array of above-ground pools and all the assorted chemicals, supplies, and toys you need to keep them clean and fun.
- Spas: Watson’s is one of the nation’s largest spa retailers and is an authorized dealer of the nation’s top manufacturers, including Hot Spring, Bullfrog, and Viking. Don’t miss the incredible Endless Swim Spas, which is the ultimate combination of both hot tub and pool and is set up for exercise, relaxation, or social time.
- Home Theater: Bring the theater experience home with the best seat in the house – whether you prefer three-seat or loveseat, fabric or leather, or power motioned.
Inside the new flagship store, shoppers will also find a store within a store – Markdown Marketplace. It features a distinct look and brand-name items at value prices.
Take a walk down the Style Aisle for an expansive selection of one-of-a-kind products that have been carefully curated from all over the world by the store’s designers.
“We’re all about making our customers’ lives more fun and enjoyable,” said Mueller. “We help you dream about how to enhance all of the different spaces inside and outside your home – and then we help make those dreams come true.”
Reports That Retail Is Dead Are Greatly Exaggerated
Watson’s was founded in Cincinnati in 1968 by Bill Watson.
Longtime employees Jim Kathmann and Don Oeters bought the business in 1984. They led a major expansion, including diversifying the product line and opening franchise and satellite locations.
Mueller, who is Kathmann’s son, joined the company as a sales associate in 1991. He worked his way up in the business, eventually purchasing the company from Kathmann and Oeters in late 2007.
With new stores opening as recently as last fall, Watson’s now consists of eight retail showrooms and 11 accessory outlets across the Midwest.
“Reports that retail is dead are greatly exaggerated,” said Mueller.
The growth won’t slow down, as Mueller continues to pursue expansion opportunities across the nation.
“Our new store takes the retail experience to a whole new level,” Mueller said. “In fact, it’s beyond experience. It’s about actual quality of life and making the most of the time we have with our families, our children, and our friends. That’s our passion.”